Originally uploaded by Brazil Bean Brewed.
Well, I know it has already past, but we have been quite busy the last 11 days. On October 26th we gave birth to our first daughter. We named her, Ceara Janal Sass. She weighed 7lbs 2oz, was 19.3 inches and was born at 8:16am. We are now proud parents of a beautiful little girl that has given us so much joy as well as some sleepless nights but that is to be expected. Haha. No really, our girl is very good, she sleeps most of the night and gets up about two times. She eats well and keeps us smiling. Early morning on the Thursday, I started having contractions, by 1am we were timing them and they came about every 3 minutes so we called the doctor and she told us to head to the hospital, it was about 3:30am before we got to the hospital and then I was checked by the doctor on call there to see how far along I was. I had dilated 2 cm. He called our doctor to let her know what was happening and then we had to wait for our insurance to be verified. It took about an hour to finally get put in a room so for that time I sat on a chair with contractions coming every minute apart. Not exactly fun. We also learned that our doctor had hurt her hand the day before and might not be able to make it to the birth because of her hand. She let us know of another doctor that might come to see how I was doing. Luckily at 6 our doctor showed up to see how I was doing and told us that I still was at a two even though my contractions were hard and coming every minute. She told me that we may have to do a cesarean because I had already been in labor for so long and hadn't progressed. She prayed with us over the birth and that we could have the baby naturally as I really didn't want to have a csection. She said that she would come check in an hour to see if there was any progression. By 7am I still had not dilated any further even though the doctor said my contractions should have been doing something as they were hard and coming fast. We had gotten an ultrasound the week before which revealed that the umbilical cord was wrapped once around our baby's neck and so our doctor concluded that the cord was not allowing the baby to decend into the canal and that I could possibly wait about 12 hours to see if the baby moved and then find out that we could not have her vaginally or we could go for the cesarean and allow our baby a better chance with less stress. We in the end opted for the csection even though I really did not want to have surgery. Less than an hour after making the decision, I was wisked away to be prepared for surgery and Travis waited in the wings till he was allowed to enter the operating room. Mikaela and Brian also had come along with us but at that point had no idea what was happening as the decision came quick and there was little time to inform them of the process. By 8:10 Travis was in the operating room with me and by 8:16 we had a beautiful crying baby girl. Travis was able to go with the baby as they checked her and got her cleaned up, I barely got to see her, maybe for a minute as they took the picture and then the baby and Travis were gone. I spent the next few minutes getting sewed up and then waited in a hallway for an hour waiting to be taken back to my room. It was so surreal thinking that I had just given birth to a baby yet it wasn't sinking in because I couldn't see her or Travis. I finally got back to my room where we were able to tell Mikaela and Brian that we had a little girl. They were able to go see her in the nursery while I had to wait in the room because I was still recovering from the surgery. It was after 12pm when I finall was able to see my little girl and hold her again for longer than a second. She was beautiful and I couldn't believe that we were so lucky to have been so blessed by God to have this child. What a beautiful little girl we have, praise God. Thank you for all your prayers and support for us in this new change in our life. I have to go as my little baby is crying and needing my attention again.