Thursday, March 19, 2009

Travis' Parents Surprise HIm

Just before Calen was born, Carol emailed me to see if it was alright if her and Len made a surprise visit. It was a tentative plan but as soon as Calen was born it became official. Carol wanted to see her grandson but to also surprise Travis. So the plan was set in motion for them to arrive in November just in time for Ceara's second birthday party (a joint party with Vanessa, 8 from our small group). The trick was to keep the surprise going for as long as possible. After a few messages on facebook and through email were erased or deleted quickly, November appeared without Travis thinking anything. Then there was the dilemma of how to get Travis to the airport without thinking we were picking someone up...after much thought, our intern Heather had headed to a conference in the south of Brazil, so I used her as the excuse to get Travis to the airport. I told Travis that Heather's bag had been misplaced when she arrived to the south and that she was waiting to hear what had happened. A few days later I told him that Heather had called and asked me to pick up her bag that made it back to the airport in Salvador. I told him that the airline wouldn't let anyone come get it without ID so Heather told them about me. So my excuse was to I had to go get her bag and show my ID. So the plan was set, go pick up a bag (or two) with a few added people...hahaha. Once we got to the airport I told Travis that I would take Calen and for him to take Ceara upstairs to watch the airplanes land. Then I waited for his parents to show up. They were a little late so I got worried that I couldn't keep a secret for much longer. Luckily they arrived and we called Travis to come downstairs to help with the bag (as I had Calen). He came down the stairs to find his parents waiting for him. He was so shocked and couldn't believe we had surprised him with the greatest surprise by far. We really enjoyed the time that we got to spend with Len and Carol and the time they got to spend with the grand kids. So thanks for the great surprise.

No comments: