Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Len's Visit


Len's Visit
Originally uploaded by Brazil Bean Brewed.

Ever since we told my Dad in 2004 that we had chosen Salvador, Brazil as our mission field, my dad has been excited. Everyone who knows my parents, quickly notice that my parents have hippie roots. My Mom and Dad traveled through South America from 1970 –1972, and two of my Dad’s favorite places is where I have served in the mission field. The first is Cuenca, Ecuador in the south of that country. Cuenca is referred to as a paradise and for anyone who ventures to the Andes Mountains, this is a must see spot. My Dad’s other favorite place in South America was Salvador, Brazil, where we are now. My Dad liked Salvador because of it’s unique African atmosphere and because the people were so friendly. We have almost been here a year now and my Dad has said he would come and visit. We got word in the New Year that my Dad had gotten a ticket to be here Jan 17th. When he first got here it was extra special because he was Santa Clause for us. All kinds of people had sent money to the Saskatoon Church of Christ, which allowed us to get some things from home that we can’t get here. As well as Christmas gifts from our families. One of the gifts I will put to use in this city is the snorkel set and fins. We got an external hard drive for our computer, vitamins, food products and more. My Dad and I already went diving by one of the lighthouses and were amazed by how much sea life there was. Len finds no shortage of foods that he likes down here with all the tropical fruits and vegetables that we have. But I think the thing that he likes the most is the people. He has come to all of our Bible studies and is able to chip in with good insights. My Dad knows some Spanish and studied some Portuguese before he got here and is not afraid to start a conversation anytime and any place. His desire to meet the people here has been a positive reminder to our team as culture shock can cause us to see more of the negatives then the positives in the city. For that I think our whole team is thankful that my Dad has come to spend six weeks with us in our work here. It is also good having a personal trainer to keep me motivated to keep my body healthy through exercise. Now that I am 32 and my Dad is 57 I can say that we have truly become great friends, it is going to be hard to see him go. But for right now, we will have fun and meet as many people as possible.

No comments: